NNHRC publicizes DOI's sacred sites listening sessions
- Parent Category: Life
- Published: Tuesday, 31 July 2012 03:30
- Written by Navajo Nation Human Rights Commission News Release
- Hits: 2778
SAINT MICHAELS, Navajo Nation— Today, the Navajo Nation Human Rights Commission requested a letter from the U.S. Department of Interior regarding the upcoming sacred sites listening session scheduled for the month of August.
According to U.S. Department of Interior Counselor to the Assistant Secretary Dion Killsback, a press release will be issued soon.
Soon, however, may not be soon enough.
Because the Interior’s listening sessions begin in approximately two weeks, NNHRC wants to ensure the public is aware of the listening sessions.
According to a letter from the U.S. Department of Interior Acting Assistant Secretary Donald E. Laverdure, the dates, times and locations are as follows:
· August 13, 2012 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the BIA Southwest Regional Office, Pete V. Domenici Bldg., 1001 Indian School Road in Albuquerque, New Mex. Contact: (505) 563-3103.
· August 16, 2012 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m., at the Holiday Inn-Grand Montana Billings, 5500 Midland Road in Billings, Mont. Contact: (406) 248-7701.
· August 23, 2012, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Mystic Lake Casino Hotel, 2400 Mystic Lake Blvd., in Prior Lake, Minn. Contact: (952) 445-9000.
· August 24, 2012, from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m., at the Mohegan Sun Casino, 1 Mohegan Sun Blvd., in Uncasville, Conn. Contact: (860) 862-7311.
· (Tentative) August 28, 2012, a time, location to be determined for the Portland, Ore., area.
The Interior’s sacred sites listening sessions should not be confused with the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s sacred sites listening sessions, which took place last year.